These are the tools and resources I have used and found to be helpful.
This page contains affiliate links. That means if you choose to make a purchase, I may be compensated at no cost to you. I only recommend products that I have used.
- Scrivener – the program I use to write with. I don’t think I could put together a full book without it and I hope I never have to.
- Learn Scrivener Fast – Scrivener is a big program. While you don’t need to know everything to be able to use it, the more you know, the more you can do with it. Joseph Michael offers a wonderful training program to learn to use Scrivener. Be sure to join his mailing list because he does free mini-trainings regularly.
- MailerLite – I switched my fiction list to MailerLite in 2019 in light of the changes to Mailchimp I mention below. I have been very happy with them, and when I started Creatively Sustainable, I set up my list there as well.
- MailChimp – I began using MailChimp over 10 years ago doing VA work for a client. The first lists I started were in MailChimp and I was happy with the service I got on their free plan. However, they have recently changed the terms of that plan and the general direction of the company, and I believe that MailerLite is a better option for those starting out. If you have a very small list and intend to keep it small, MailChimp should work.
- ConvertKit – This email service provider is promoted by many for the services they offer. I have heard several people say that MailerLite works great for a fiction list, but with a non-fiction list, where you may have classes, workshops, more special offers, etc., ConvertKit is a better option for that. As the Creatively Sustainable list grows, I will consider switching to them.
- Hosting – Name Hero – the hosting I use for CreativelySustainable.com. I have not had many problems, and the few I have had were quickly solved with tech support. Highly recommend.
- WordPress.org – this is the self-hosted version, which means you have complete control over your website.
- WordPress Theme – Astra – the theme I use for CreativelySustainable.com. Michelle Phillips at Codefetti has a great series of video tutorials to get you started using Astra.
- Domain – GoDaddy
- Domain – NameCheap
- BlogAid – learn to manage your own website with MaAnna Stephenson of BlogAid. She offers plenty of free blog posts and video on BlogAid, and she has various courses to help you as well. Gutenberg Ninja will help you learn the ins and outs of the WordPress editor, while DIYSEO will put you in control of getting your content seen.
These are books I have read and recommend you check out as well. The links below are for print versions available through Bookshop.org. These are affiliate links. If you decide to purchase through my link, I may receive compensation at no additional cost to you. For ebook versions, search your favorite online retailer by title or author.
Check back often – I update these lists whenever I read another book that I find valuable.